

Yesterday Elizabeth's 8th grade class went on their College Cruise, a field trip with stops at GC and UK. They started at GC and the sophomore tour guide explained GC's history and the uses for some of its main buildings. Then they did an activity, during which they learned the roles that GPA, community involvement, plagiarism, bad grades, and extracurricular activities played in admissions decisions. At that point, it was realized that a miscommunication had occurred and the 30 minutes GC thought we were spending on campus was actually 90 minutes. Oops, what to do during the next hour as we waited for the buses to return. Well, while seated in the rec center, the students learned a lot more about college life, including class schedules, majors, extracurricular activities, internships, graduate school v. career, etc. They learned a lot of that from me, I'm afraid. Yes, I was a filler activity, much to Elizabeth's embarrassment. The best question was from the student who asked, "Do you have gunsmith as a major?" (The answer is no, in case you weren't certain.) I did take them through the off-limits Learning Resource Center, so I'm sure Elizabeth was thankful for my presence in the end. She told me she didn't really learn anything about GC because she's been there so much she is already an expert. She is most likely correct about that.


Then we went to UK. It was a verrrry long walking tour (look at strong Elizabeth with her friend Emily), an hour total, with very limited information. We heard an awful lot about the UK basketball players, however - and their big screen TVs, how they use golf carts to get to class so they don't injure themselves, and how they always wear UK blue swag. We also learned that in the library, the basement is where you can be loud and order pizza; the fifth floor is the best place to find a date; and the top floor is the best place to repel off of if you want to do a prank. No mention of books or academics was made at all during the hour, except one reference to the Engineering students, who don't have to leave the building when it's cold or hot outside because they have their own cafeteria. And NASA blew up one of their satellites. The president's wife makes cookies for students during finals. No mention of her Ph.D. The students really seemed to like GC much more than UK. They talked a lot about the small class size and how your professors really know you at GC. I think the complete lack of academic focus with these honors students wasn't a strategic move on UK's part. I asked how many academic majors UK had, and the tour guide didn't know, but did say they had "tons and tons." And best of all: Elizabeth asked me to sit with her and her friends during lunch at UK, as I veered off toward the parent/teacher table. Yes!

Today Michael's class had a sock hop! Students could hula hoop, do the twist, and dance in general. You can see Michael's involvement in the photo on the left. I was in charge of making milkshakes for the milkshake drinking contest. I am sure the teachers were pleased with my work. See photo on right.
Mostly, though, I just loved being able to spend time with my children during their school day, when I rarely get to see them. They are so wonderful and amazing, as always. And tall.
Meanwhile, Niki is getting started on her summer tan.
No comments:
Post a Comment