Friday, December 14, 2012

Other events

I was asked to be the women's basketball team's first honorary coach of the season.  I loved it!  The team was down by 15 in the first half, so I stepped right in, gave a few ideas (I had many ideas because I am married to Steven, who always has suggestions for how players can improve, trust me), and guess what?!  The team won in the last few minutes of the game.  Next time I'll charge a consulting fee.  I assume you didn't really believe me that I gave suggestions, and you should not have, but the rest is true - Steven always has excellent suggestions and the team did come back from 15 down to win. 

Our family was asked to light the Hope candle during GC's Hanging of the Green ceremony this year.  It's a long-standing tradition, involving musical organizations singing carols and leading the audience of about 800 in song.  There is a sermon.  There are four Bible passages, which are read by a staff member, the president, and two faculty, who each light the corresponding candle.  Elizabeth and Michael read the passage related to hope - they did such a beautiful job.  I was so proud of them (as always).  Several students later remarked how they could not believe their poise and lack of nervousness.  Because the Chapel is completely dark except for the stage, I don't think they realized just how many people were present.  The event definitely got us thinking about the upcoming holiday season.

No comments:

Post a Comment