Monday, March 3, 2014

February 2014

Snowed in.  No school again for E&M.  Even Georgetown College cancelled classes, for only the second time in the 18 years I have been there.  Michael spent the night at a friend's (although because Scott County didn't cancel school until very late last night, Michael and his friend had to go to bed early, just in case, which didn't please them!) and I stayed up way too late watching the Oscars.  This morning Niki, Zoe, and my daughter are all ignoring me, sleeping and sleeping.  At least pretending to.  Niki half-opens an eye if I stare at her long enough but E hasn't made a sound.  Steven had to go to work, without the benefit of gray or black roads .... everything was covered in white and he said this morning brought the worst driving conditions he's been in since he can remember. 

Michael's basketball season is over, culminating with a banquet (no parents allowed) last week.  The 8th grade coach asked if he could have one-on-one practice sessions with Michael to help him remain a super star player.  The 8th grade coach is a GC basketball player alum and they meet on campus.  I don't see how Michael does it, nothing but net over and over again.

Elizabeth and I have had some fun times together lately.  She may be surprised to read "fun times", but I'm sticking to that phrase.  Last weekend we went to the Belle of the Blue program on campus.  (No, you don't need an eye check-up; it's a terribly blurry photo.)  A psychology major named Elizabeth won!  She is the 5th one from the left wearing a purplish dress.  Afterward, Elizabeth (McKenzie) said, "I know the only reason you let me go to this is because it's a scholarship pageant.  I know if it had been a beauty pageant you wouldn't have said it was okay."  Give that girl some credit for being incredibly perceptive!  So glad something I say and/or believe sinks in every now and then.

Yesterday I took Elizabeth and two of her friends to the mall.  The three would not pose for a photo, so here's what you get instead.  I think Emily and Anderson enjoyed hearing Elizabeth and me jamming to not only Dancing Queen by Abba but also the Patridge Family Christmas DVD, complete with arm gestures and loud singing.

The puppies are excellent.  Zoe turned three!  Ice cream for everyone!!!  Michael still loves playing with both of them.  Zoe still loves attacking stuffed animals.  Poor rhino.


Last week Steven looked at our children doing homework at the table and whispered to me, "It'll be so sad when the kids are gone."  After we finished crying about that thought, I surreptitiously took a photo of them, working so diligently.  It may look like E is sleeping on her books, but she's just intently working.  If I had asked them to pose for a photo, they both would have stuck out their tongues and hid the rest of their faces.  Trust me.

Inspired by the link of Matt Cutts that Tiffany sent us a while ago, we are each doing a 30 day challenge during the month of March.  Elizabeth is exercising at least 15 minutes a day (she did the wii Dance Party 4 last night), Michael is eating "more healthily" instead of "completely healthily", Steven is reading more, and I am studying a country a day.  After two days, we're all hanging in there.




No comments:

Post a Comment