
Elizabeth's 8th grade class travelled to Cincinnati last week for their long- awaited field trip to The Freedom Center. I write "long-awaited" because it was rescheduled three times due to snow. It STILL snowed on the day we went (see yet another freaking snow photo), March 25th, but we went anyway.

Although expressly forbidden to do so, I snuck away from the group at one point to go to the gift shop. Guess what I saw?! Two copies of
His promised land. I bought them both and had to explain to the store clerk why I was crying as I paid for them. "God bless your father", she said over and over again. I donated one copy to Elizabeth's classroom. Her teacher thanked me profusely and read the book the entire way home. I know this because I was seated across from him, reading Tina Fey's
Bossypants, an equally intellectually-stimulating book.
The Center is amazing. The docents were incredible. There are five videos of reenactments and explanations regarding the Underground Railroad. It is a must-see! I will go with anyone who reads this blog who wants to go.
One of Elizabeth's favorite parts was going to the Florence Mall for lunch - and riding on the carousel. I'm sure she loved learning about our rich history of slavery and abolition as well, although I don't recall that part of our conversation afterward.
No comments:
Post a Comment