Monday, June 9, 2014

Celebrating Michael Bennett



Friday was Michael's last day of school.  As a sure sign that I am getting super laid-back and mellow as I age, for the first time ever, I let him leave school right after the morning's awards program ended.  He had an excellent year grade-wise.  There are five primary subjects during the year and I'll attach the video from when they announced the subjects that he earned all A's in for the entire year.  (The school does not give subject awards to individual students in 6th grade.)  Michael's favorite part of the program had nothing to do with academics, however; he was so excited when his team was honored for being Australia Days' cricket tournament champions!  Their team name is something like Willy-Willy-Knickers.  That's what made him most proud and please note the lovely cricket tournament trophy he is holding under the tree.  Math and science?  Who cares!  Cricket champ -->  YES!!!


I asked Michael which teacher(s) he wanted a photo with and he said only Mr. Thornton, his science teacher.  Mr. Thornton insisted on having some "science-y props" in the picture.  I thought Michael was holding McDonald's french fries, but apparently not. 

One of the projects Michael recently completed for social studies was on Bolivia.  He worked so hard on it and our favorite memory of the project was when he practiced his oral presentation with us the night before he gave it in class.  Such good eye contact with the audience!  And check out the South American (?) scarf I found at Goodwill!

And then the year was over and it was the weekend.  The long awaited weekend.  Yes, indeedy, now we have two teenagers in our house.  What???  Crazy. For his birthday, Michael wanted three friends to go to Get Air, a bouncy house kind of place in Lexington.  Well, I think he wanted four friends but Steven's car only fit three.  They had a fabulous time there, playing dodgeball almost the entire two hours.  Then they returned to Georgetown, played until they were on the border of dropping from exhaustion, and ate Oreo cake.  Stephen spent the night (can we all say "duh"?).  The next night, Conner spent the night (you weren't expecting that one, were you?)  Notice in the right hand side's cake pictures that Michael is putting out the flame with his bare fingers.  I'm somewhat ashamed to admit that he learned how to do that from me. TWO TEENAGERS, did you hear that???  TWO!



No comments:

Post a Comment