

Graduating from middle school is a big deal. Elizabeth has worked so
crazy hard during the past three years. We live out of her school's district, which means she knew few people when she began sixth grade, yet somehow
has thrived in every way one would hope a middle schooler would. Steven and I often marvel at how she has turned
into the most amazing, interesting eighth grader. Last night Elizabeth looked so very smart and striking.

She received one of the Language Arts awards (go Aunt Laura!) and one of
the Social Studies awards (go Stuart!). Many times throughout the
year I have been stunned by her work ethic and diligence. Today I ran into her Language Arts teacher, Mrs. Hambrick, while volunteering for Michael's class' Australia Day. [Laura and Mary, I'm sure you remember attending Mrs. Hambrick's open night presentation.] She said Elizabeth is
such a gifted writer and student, and that during each class, it's as if Elizabeth is
digging for every bit of knowledge she can get. She said having Elizabeth was such an edifying experience for her.
I told Mrs. Hambrick that this weekend Elizabeth and I were talking about a wedding. I said, "She doesn't do that. I do." Elizabeth said, "Is that an intentional pun?" "Huh?" "You said 'I do' when talking about a wedding." "Oh, Elizabeth you are so clever! I am so impressed you caught that - I was not intending to make a pun!" Elizabeth yelled, "Mrs. Hambrick has turned me into a
monster!" Mrs. Hambrick
loved that story! :)
So yes, we were and are so proud of her.

During graduation, Michael and his cool friends were too cool to
sit with us but not too cool to watch someone else take photos. He has mentioned how he will miss Elizabeth when she's in
Europe. He does not like it when she's not around.
Speaking of, she left for Europe this morning. I hope she has the best time she has ever had in her life. She has earned it.
No comments:
Post a Comment