Friday, June 7, 2013

Good bye soccer, Hello basketball

Michael's last soccer game was last night in Berea.  [I wrote this last weekend but apparently never published it.]  He and Stephen are such fun to watch, especially because they're the only ones that ever score.

This week Michael attended the Scott County High School coach's (Billy Hicks') basketball camp.  He came in 1st for made free throws and his team came in first for the tournament.  He starts practice with his middle school team this afternoon.  His coach is a former assistant coach at GC and the coach's wife is a former student of mine, who was just named principal of the county's new elementary school.  I love living in a small town, feeling like I know many people with whom my kids come into contact.

The Scott County High School basketball team was the subject of a recent book, Outside Shot.  Here's a section from the New York Times review of it: So forgive “Outside Shot” its minor flaws and its junior varsity title, and celebrate it for what it is: a reporting tour de force and an utterly gripping account of the Scott County High Cardinals, who hail from the hill country north of Lexington, home of the fabled University of Kentucky Wildcats, and are renowned in their own right, winning two state titles over the last 14 years. It is a legacy that imposes immense expectations on the Cardinals coach, Billy Hicks, and his kids, a tension that is sustained throughout the book: the Scott County players are at once admired and burdened by a community that derives way too much of its identity and esteem from the fortunes of a bunch of boys in shorts.

Michael and Steven bought the book.  I don't think it's been opened yet, but I'll keep checking.

1 comment:

  1. Wow! Love the action photo of Michael Bennett kicking the soccer ball! Interesting that the NYT review mentioned that Scott County "derives way to much of its identity and esteem from the fortunes of a bunch of boys in shorts"! Seems there will be pressure to perform when Michael gets to high school...but that he can handle it;) Very interesting! I'll enjoy peeking in the book when we visit!

    ReplyDelete